Tuesday 25 October 2011


View Map Skills in a larger map



Wedding fair is a success
I chose this news article about the Wedding fair as it clearly stated where it took place, which allowed me to mark,the exact location of Preston north end on my map. I think this makes it easier for people to see where the stadium is situated if they are not residents of Preston. I also added the contextual link of additional wedding fair’s taking place, as this would be of interest to anybody who is thinking about getting married. I used an icon of a person kicking a football to represent the football ground.

Taser gang attack man
My Second News story featured a piece about a gang who attacked a man with a Taser gun, as the crime happened in one set location 'the victims home', it was a useful article to put on the map. For the contextual link I decided to put two stories, one is taken from the BBC news website, explaining how the Uk plans to crack down on the importation of Taser ammo.  The second article was taken off the Sun's website, which spoke about David Cameroon going back on his word about how he plans to tackling knife crime in the UK.

Hospital car charges review
The Third article spoke about the hospitals car park charges being reviewed, I chose the
red cross symbol as my marker because that represents hospitals. I chose this
article because again it states the location and of what the news story is reporting on 'Royal 
Preston Hospital'. Although Chorley and Ribble Hospital was mentioned the main bulk of the report
was about Preston. I added a contextual link of additional information about the parking charges/
available spaces, this link also will get updated if or when they make the changes,
which could turn out to be useful information for some.



Public drink purge is hailed a big success
My fourth and final article praised the councillors for the fall of alcohol related crime and disorder in Chorley. I decided to use this article because again it was very clear where the event took place. I believe the icon of the cocktail glass I used was very appropriate for this story.  The Contextual link I inputted was to the Directgov webpage, which features information explaining the links between alcohol and crime.


All four of my stories I picked, were mainly because I could pin point their exact location on my map. Also I wanted stories that I could link with some background information or relevant websites for the articles. In my opinion the map does make the stories stronger because readers can now have a clear vision of where each event took place. However I still prefer to watch or listen to the news than read about it.

Uclan Journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment